Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

I used to love making banana bread when I was back in high school. My dad has the old 1950s Betty Crocker cookbook sitting in our kitchen, and I'd always whip it out gleefully whenever we'd have super-ripe bananas. As I've grown up, however, I've constantly tried to pretend that I could make healthy banana bread (my earlier Banana Nut Bread, for instance), and it turns out good, but not Betty Crocker good. 

So, what I'm trying to say is, when I found this recipe--made with greek yogurt, that's the important part--and I saw that it had a whole cup of sugar in it, my first inclination was to try something else. But I didn't. It's the first week of classes so I figured a moist, sweet, delicious banana bread was what we all needed. And then I decided, what the hell, let's throw in some chocolate while we're at it! The result was the best banana bread I've ever made. So I learned a valuable lesson this week--some sugar splurging is good for you. 





Recipe adapted from here
Ingredients
2c Flour
1c Sugar
3/4tsp Baking Soda
1/2tsp Salt
1/8c Butter (melted)
2 Large Eggs
1tsp Vanilla
2 Mashed Bananas
6oz Greek Yogurt (I used plain Chobani)
3/4c Chopped Walnuts
1/2c Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

OVEN: 350F
BAKE: 55-60min
YIELD: 12-14 servings

1. Smash the bananas with the back of a heavy spoon in a medium-sized mixing bowl.

2. Add the eggs, vanilla, butter, and yogurt and then mix until combined.

3. Mix in the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. 

4. Fold in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.

5. Pour into a greased bread pan and bake. Cool on a cooling rack before slicing.



This is obviously pretty tasty when it comes out of the oven, but it also stores very well and gets more moist as the days go on!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...