Monday, August 20, 2012

Blueberry Walnut Bars

After I made my Peanut Butter Banana Bars last week, I knew that oatmeal bars had just catapulted themselves into a weekly necessity for me. I absolutely adore blueberries for the pop of flavor and color they add to any recipe. I only feel sorry for the rest of upstate New York that couldn't be in my apartment when these came out of the oven. A new personal favorite for sure. 




Ingredients
2/3c Flour
1 2/3c Quick Cooking Oats
1/3c Brown Sugar
1tsp Baking Powder
1/8tsp Salt
1/2c Milk
1 Egg
1tsp Vanilla
1.5tsp Cinnamon
1 Mashed Banana
1/2c Blueberries
1/2c Walnuts
Cinnamon Sugar 

OVEN: 350F
BAKE: 22-24 min

1. Combine sugar, milk, banana, egg, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. 

2. Mix in baking powder, salt, cinnamon, oats and flour. 

3. Mix in blueberries and walnuts. If you really like blueberries, I'd put an extra quarter of a cup in the batter. I used whole walnuts, but if you don't like really chunky pieces in your baked goods, throw them in chopped. 

4. Pour the batter into a greased 8x8 pan and sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar before popping them into the oven. 



These are dense with a smooth, cakey texture. I think they'd be a fantastic option for breakfast!


4 comments:

  1. Making some sort of granola/snack bar was on my list to do today and now I just may have to try this recipe, making some vegan adjustments. :) And what's not to love about blueberries??!!! New York is a great state for growing blueberries. I used to go to a "pick your own" farm in Yates County and get pints and pints for the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these and they are very yummy! I noticed, though, while following the recipe that you do not mention adding in the oatmeal anywhere in the directions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...