Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day Cupcakes

I'll be the first to admit that cupcakes aren't my favorite baked good. I love the idea of them--it's a bite-sized cake, it's perfect for easy transportation, distribution, and consumption. I just haven't masted these little guys like I have the cookie. But I continue to try. 

These are made with pudding mix, which makes the cupcakes themselves a little bit moister than regular cupcakes. I've included a recipe for a delicious homemade buttercream frosting. I know frosting often seems rather intimidating to make at home, but this recipe (like most) is really simple! You just have to be patient.

And as I side note, can I say I love this first picture, because it looks like a whole bunch of cupcakes from another gang has come to beat up this little guy..





Ingredients
1box Chocolate Cake Mix
1pkg (3.9oz) Instant Chocolate Pudding 
4 Eggs
1.25c Water
1/2c Oil

For the frosting, borrow from this site
1c Salted Butter (room temperature)
3tsp Vanilla
4c Powdered Sugar
4tbsp Heavy Cream
Sprinkles (Optional)

OVEN: 350F
BAKE: 18-20min
YIELD: 22-24

1. In a standing mixer, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, and oil. 



2. Pour into a cupcake tin lined with cupcake liners. Fill approximately 2/3 full.

3. Cool on a cooling rack while you make the icing.



4. With the paddle attachment on your standing mixer, mix the butter on medium-high speed for about three minutes, until smooth and slightly fluffy. (I don't have pictures for this, I apologize, my camera battery was dead and I couldn't find the charger!)

5. Mix in powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until well incorporated and fluffy. I turned my mixer down to low to add each cup, and then pulled it up to high to incorporate. 

6. Mix in heavy cream one tablespoon at a time and then add the vanilla. The icing is not going to be super airy, but it will have gained some significant volume and it will be kind of stiff. 


7. Ice your cupcakes with a piping bag or with a knife. Decorate as desired. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...