Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Pinwheels

Ever since I started this blog I have a constant stream of baking-related thoughts sitting in the back of my mind. When I'm in the grocery store I'm ticking through an imaginary checklist of what would be good in a cookie, or how I could use those adorable mini rolos, or searching for new flavors of jello pudding. I have the type of mind that just can't turn off once I've stumbled onto an interesting idea. That normally helps me be a better researcher, and last night it made me a better baker. 

Cookies are often my safe place, they're the easiest recipes to think up all on my own. I don't typically make a lot of heavy baked goods--the physicist isn't a big fan of double chocolate choco chocolate like I am--but these cookies are indulgent and divine. And because I haven't done any internet searches to tell me otherwise, they're 100% my own creation. 



Ingredients
1pkg Brownie Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
2 Eggs
1/3c Canola Oil
1/2c Flour
12 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

OVEN: 375
BAKE: 9-11min
YIELD: 2 dozen

That's right, these aren't just chocolate cookies stuffed with Reese's, they're chocolate brownie cookies stuffed with more chocolate and peanut butter. 

1. Pop the Reese's into the freezer for 20-30 minutes. I used an entire packet of "snack size" candy, which I think is smaller than the cups sold individually. (If you've never eaten a frozen Reese's I encourage you to buy  some extra because you just can't stop yourself from eating them)


2. After unwrapping all of the cups, chop them each into six pieces: 


and then load them back on the cardboard tray they came in or a freezer safe surface. You can do this way in advance, the colder they are the easier it is to put them in the cookie. 


3. Now turn on your oven and combine all of the aforementioned ingredients together to make the brownie-cookie dough. The dough should be nice and thick so you can roll out cookies without it sticking to your fingers. If it's too sticky, try adding extra flour or putting it in the fridge for 15 minutes. I rolled mine into 1-inch balls. 

4. The cookies will bake up pretty tall so you might need to smoosh them down after you take them out of the oven (carefully, they're hot!)

5. Put the hot cookie tray on a cooling rack (or don't if you don't own one) and let the cookies cool for about three minutes, then grab your Reese's and press three of them into a cookie. You'll have to wiggle them a little bit to get them to go in nicely. 

These cookies have the kind of ooey center of a fresh plate of brownies but the firmness of a cookie on the outside. You'll certainly need some milk with these! Eat only one! I dare you.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...